Two Digital Gypsies Rating – 2.5 Stars
During our safari in Kenya we stayed two nights at the Ashnil Mara Camp which is located on the Mara River in the Maasai Mara National Reserve. This was the second time on our safari that we stayed at a tented camp, the first being Sweetwaters Tented Camp located in the Ol Pejeta Conservancy.
When we arrived the staff met us at the safari vehicle and took our luggage along with providing warm moist towels to wipe off the road grime, after which we were given fresh juice drinks to sip on while checking in. The staff was friendly and efficient and were involved in an awesome bush dinner that we had on the last night of our safari.
The tents were spacious with a private deck, hot showers, and flushing toilets. Food at the camp was buffet style in the open air restaurant, and while good, wasn’t the quality we enjoyed at the Mara Serena Safari Lodge. Initially the hippo family in the river was a novel treat, but the noise they made at night sometimes made sleeping a problem.
- A family of hippos were only a stones throw away from our tent.
- Friendly staff that set up our excellent bush dinner.
- Tent was provided with a safe.
- Power and hot water were off for a number of hours during the day.
- Tent was much hotter inside than the tent we stayed in at Sweetwaters.
- Water had a slight odor it when showering.
- $10 extra charge per day if we wanted to use the internet.
- Noise the hippos made at night made sleeping difficult.
- Narok Coffee House
- Arches National Park