Two Digital Gypsies Rating – 4 Stars
Located on the plains of Mount Kenya in the 110,000 acre Ol Pejeta Conservancy, we stayed at the Sweetwaters Tented Camp for two nights on our seven-day safari. The facility has 39 “tents” that surround a watering hole where wild animals come in all during the day and night to water. We were lucky enough to see a herd of elephants come to water each of the two nights we stayed there.
The word “tent” to describe our accommodations was misleading. I’ve never stayed in a tent this nice. Our tent had a tiled patio with chairs and a table. Don’t be surprised if an impala comes walking within ten feet of the patio while you’re sitting there. Even though the daily temperatures were very warm and in the eighties, the tent stayed cool. Nice furnishings and large beds were inside, with hot water and double sinks in the bathroom. The power was on all day and night. This isn’t always the case at some resorts you stay at in Kenya.
In the restaurant our food was always buffet style and we found the quality very good. There was also a coffee-room, bar, and swimming pool. The grounds of the resort are appealing to walk around and everywhere you walk there is a good view of the watering hole and the potential to see wildlife coming into water.
The staff at the resort was friendly, helpful, and attentive. When we arrived there we were given warm, moist towels to wipe off the road grime, and even a selection of juices to drink as we checked in. Someone would come by every evening to turn down our bed, place hot water bottles under the mattress, and inquire if there was anything we needed.
If you’re ever on safari in Kenya and given this as an option for accommodations, definitely consider Sweetwaters Tented Camp.
- Power and hot water were on all day.
- Free wifi.
- Key card in a slot is not required for power. This helps with charging computers, phones, and iPads while away on game drives.
- Fabulous tents with views of the watering hole.
- Good food and service.
- Tent stayed a comfortable cool temperature during the day.
- Good internet right from the room.
- Ol Pejeta isn’t the Maasai Mara. If you visit the Mara you’ll know what we mean.
- We never did find a room safe.
- Giraffe Center – Nairobi
- Sweetwaters Chimpanzee Sanctuary